Halloween 2020: Are you feeling stumped as to how to make Halloween a special holiday for your kids with trick or treating out the window this year? Don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with our 2020 DIY Halloween Ideas! Our easy DIY Halloween ideas are quick, fun projects you can do with your kids, and we have everything you need at Owenhouse Ace Hardware to create a memorable Halloween, despite COVID-19! Our DIY Halloween ideas are actually easy – no witchcraft necessary! Whether you are looking for Halloween DIY decorations that are cutesy or a little scary – we have a DIY Halloween project to fit all Halloween desires!
Halloween and COVID-19 – Doesn’t Mean You Can’t Celebrate
2020 has been all about adapting. All year our national holidays have been impacted due to social distancing and concerns about health safety and sanitization. Halloween is the next holiday up where kids will be impacted the most. Most of our customers have expressed to us that they will not be letting their kids trick or treat this year, and they are feeling kind of lost as to how to make Halloween a special holiday at home. Calling it the Quarantine-O-Ween 2020, everyone is diving into creating a holiday at home for kids and adults. We knew we could come up with some fun special DIY ideas to share with our customers. Halloween can still be celebrated and we have our top three DIY Halloween ideas to share with you. From Halloween yard art to indoor Halloween decorations, to Halloween grilled cookies, we have you and your kids covered! If you are new to DIY projects don’t worry, we have step by step instructions on how to create simple and easy DIY Halloween projects.
Our Top 3 Favorite DIY Halloween Decorations This Year:
Everyone carves pumpkins for Halloween but we have even more fun DIY Halloween ideas for you to do with your kids to make this year special. Shifting their focus away from what they can’t do, and instead presenting them with fun projects to create lasting memories!
These are inexpensive, easy, and allow your kids to personalize their tombstones with funny sayings with this Halloween yard decoration idea. Here is what you will need:
- Cardboard boxes
- Measuring tape
- Packing tape
- Sand or bricks
- 3-inch stencils
- Decoupage glue
- Spray paint (gray, rustic umber, and flat black)
- Paintbrush (optional)
Here are instructions on how to create cardboard DIY Halloween Tombstones:
- Draw the outline for the tombstone shape on your cardboard.
- Using the cardboard, build a support piece following the instructions here.
- Tape the tombstone pieces together.
- Create the sides of the tombstone.
- Place the sand or bricks inside of your cardboard tombstone.
- Paper mache the tombstone
- Paint the tombstone grey
- Spray paint, cut out letters or use the paintbrush to write your epitaphs. These can be spooky or silly – get creative!
This is about as simple as it gets! Here is what you will need:
- Rope or yarn
Depending on the color of your wall, you may want white or black rope or yarn. You can even get creative and use different colors for different colored webs like orange! It is up to you how thick you want your spider web to be, so keep that in mind when choosing rope or yarn. Here are our instructions to create DIY Halloween spider webs:
- Start with a single string and stretch it across your table. Use your scissors to cut the string the width of your table and use tape to secure the string to your table.
- Lay a second-string perpendicular to the first and time them in a knot in the middle to create a central axis point.
- Start webbing! Tie the end of your string near the intersection of your original two pieces of string. Tie a knot on each of the four pieces of string that intersect. Continue this pattern working from the center axis point, out towards the ends of the strings that are attached to the sides of your table.
- Once your web is the desired size, add additional strings from the center axis point out until you have the desired number of spokes radiating out from the center creating the web look.
- Add spiders and hang your web on the wall using tape to secure it!
Halloween is historically all about candy and trick or treating, but this year try these DIY Halloween cookies that are GRILLED!
- Your favorite sugar cookie recipe
- Traeger Grill Pan
- Traeger grill
- Cookie Decorations (like sprinkles, icing, pretzel sticks, etc.)
- Optional: Halloween Cookie Cutters (like bats, pumpkins, tombstones, witches hat, etc) You will need a rolling pin as well for this.
If you are wondering how these taste, just imagine sweet and smoky wood-fired flavor combined! Here are our instructions for grilled DIY Halloween cookies:
- Preheat your Traeger grill to 400 degrees and bring the bottom shelf up to the second level
- Make your cookie batter according to your recipe instructions
- Scoop out the batter into small chunks (or roll out and use cookie cutters to make shapes) on your Traeger Grill Pan leaving space between each so the cookies can expand when cooking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Rotate and bake until desired. An additional 7-8 minutes for soft cookies or an additional 9-10 minutes for crispy cookies.
- Remove the pan from the grill and use a spatula to transfer the cookies to cool on a rack or plate.
- Once cooled, decorate your cookies for Halloween!
Owenhouse Ace is Here to Help you Decorate for Halloween
If you are looking for Halloween DIY supplies near you, look no further! At Owenhouse Ace we have everything you need to create a spooky and fun Halloween celebration at home this year. Our team is ready to help you with any questions you have about what you need for these fun DIY Halloween projects. In addition to all the DIY Halloween supplies, we also have Halloween decorations, Halloween outdoor lights, and Halloween decorations for your yard. We are your one-stop-shop for all things Halloween, so come visit us at either our Owenhouse West or Downtown location and we will get you ready for a fun Halloween at home. Let’s make Halloween, or should we say Quarantine-O-Ween 2020, a celebration to remember!